Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Fat, Fat Babies and Flying Food (day 5)


Today we went to the Crisis Ministry Center with a group of 6 people. The Crisis center takes in babies from newborn to 2 years that have been abandoned or whose families do not have the ability to care for them at this important developmental stage. At the age of two many are returned to their families or if families are not around they can be adopted. It is too bad that you have to live in Malawi for 18 months before adopting a baby. We took large purses called teaching bags to the Crisis Center and I know I was not the only one wondering how many babies would fit in each bag:) They were so cute. There is a total of 30 babies there now. I was in charge of a little 2 year old boy named Gift. People call him Hippo because he is extremely chubby. He was a talkative little fellow and even waved “hi” to the camera. Because of his chattiness I think he would have given me away if I tried to smuggle him out of the house and into the Land Rover. So I will have to come up with another plan. A woman from the states who is working as a nurse here in Malawi is trying to adopt him. Maybe I can get Jared to have a job over here so we can also take a few home. Kidding (well maybe). It was hard to leave the babies behind and I hope we can visit them again.

8 comments:

  1. Oh Meggs!!! He is SO cute! I am thrilled to see you having so much fun! I have played the 2 sec video 10 times already!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. cute baby...hope they scan your bags well on the return trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meggles...glad to see you look so happy. Note to Jared...meghan is coming home with baby fever. watch out for that brotha. And that little dood has a devious little face. Kinda like he's thinking, "I'm gonna eat that food on that plate, i'm gonna eat that food on that spoon, and when I'm done I'll eat all the food on my face. Just you watch."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the pictures and the video. I think Jeff is right. Meghan is definitely coming home with baby fever. Great thing to catch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Posts are great, but I'd like to hear more about flying food.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well the babies were throwing, spitting, laughing and puking up their food. It was all over the floor and me. It was a good way to break in the ugly skirt:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. He is adorable! Definitely need to try to bring him home with you.

    ReplyDelete