Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Discoveries and Thoughts: I was feeling reflective today.

Parachute Games
Ladies at the Boarhole
Can you find the Azungu?

There are things I never even thought I’d do. Situations in which I could not even imagine.
Today I found myself in a surreal environment where these things became reality. I found myself standing in a dimly lit Malawian classroom surrounded by 8 teachers holding a banana to my crotch and calling it a penis. All in the name of education. My experience continued as I demonstrated how to put on the condom and rubbed the lubricant I all over my face. I blew up the condom and finally ended the demonstration by eating the penis. Hey its Africa, we cannot waste a good banana. I think there were a few things that saved me from ultimate embarrassment. The teachers do not understand my English and thankfully they seemed to be able to laugh along with me as we practiced correct condom procedures. I learned today that not only do the students need instruction on how to use a condom, so do the teachers.

Last week the students talked about how “azungu” are different from black people because we cannot dig a toilet. Tomorrow we are going on a home stay and in preparation I have been thinking about how my “survival” knowledge based on growing up in the States will not help me here. Not surprisingly the villagers in Malawi do not need to use computers, read traffic lights, drive cars or use a dishwasher. But there are so many other things that are culturally not relevant. Tinfoil, no use for that. They haven’t even heard of it. And glue. How to open it, squeeze it, use it, another unnecessary skill. These things seem so foreign to me. In my American brains everyone knows how. But to a Malawian I know so little. I don’t know how to dig a toilet, to harvest corn and make it into nsima, to make a bed mat from straw or cook a chicken plucked from the front yard. As much as I look around and see things that the Malawians do not know, I realize that I know much less. Survival in our world is all about technology and nothing about actually survival. Our basic needs are all at our fingertips. Many Americans refer to this as a third world country. If it ever came down to actually surviving, I know the Malawian villagers would be much more successful than I.

There are things that a 8 year old should do. They should ride bikes. Play in the mud. Do homework and take tests. Eight year olds should go to school, make friends and have fights. I see them playing football and getting hurt, falling down and getting back up again. I hope they believe in magic and Santa. An eight year olds life is full of mystery of excitement and finding their way. They are testing their parents, annoying their teachers and laughing the day away. Eight year olds are plastered in my memory, sitting in my classroom. Their images bring smiles to my lips and sometimes tears to my eyes. I think of all the life they have to live, the endless possibilities. And then the bomb, the breaking of my American thoughts. 50% in our current village are having sex. My stomach drops and I almost want to tell the teacher he is wrong. I want to figure out where the language barrier has gone off track. Maybe there is one student or two, but this cannot be the norm. But this is Malawi and when I assume I tend to be wrong. I am constantly reinventing my ideas of people and situations. The longer I am here, the more I think of my students saying they would like to not have school. That this would be cool. I want to bring my experiences back to help show them a world much different from ours. I want them to see the opportunities they have. I want them to enjoy being 8, and to help them learn how they can impact their world. I would love to make some sort of connection between our schools and here. Where my students can learn about different cultures and can help support those who have less.

Today in a chat with the teachers I told them my favorite food was ice cream. They looked at each other and laughed. Yes, they knew of ice cream they told me. But still they gave me funny looks. Then came the question they all wanted to ask. Is ice cream my typical meal, like nsima which they eat at every meal. I had to say no, but wouldn’t that be great.

Tomorrow night is our home stay in the village. I am excited but nervous. It will be a long day on Friday because we have been told that we will not get much sleep. We will lay on the ground, most likely with the sheep or chickens. We will not be eating with the families ourselves. the water the cook with could make us very sick. But I hope to help them prepare their food and play with their kids.

5 comments:

  1. Good point about how we Americans don't really survive at all. Our lives are completely revolving around other items that seem important because for most of us, our basic needs, finding food, water and shelter, are taken care of without us even thinking about it.

    Although I think i'd be able to survive for alittle while in the woods. As long as there are no lions. Are there lions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jeff, most Americans would be in trouble if we had to worry about basic survival skills. its crazy to think about the basic skills we have lost over only a few generations in this country. Might be setting us up for failure down the road!

    Next topic: Anyone else get a funny visual of Meghan rubbing lubricant all over her face? And meg, if the kids are mostly observing you because they can't understand what you're saying, i kinda feel like they might get the wrong idea when you rub the lube on your face...I would hate for them to take that too literally. Might prove to be uncomfortable for them later...Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meg - another excellent post. You are both informative and thoughtful and are giving your audience a first hand window into your experiences. You tell your stories with humor and grace. Good Work! I think its great that you are seeing how isolated we are in America from what life is like in much of the rest of the world, and it's great that you can share it with us in such a personal and real time way. I think this trip will continue to have a big impact on you and hopefully you can pass some of it on your students anf fellow teachers in NC. Love, dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to hear how the overnight went. It is great that you can get such a personal glimpse of the Malawian way of life.
    Love you
    MOM;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Meghan, I have not followed your blog for a couple of weeks and had time today to catch up with it. I am really amazed and impressed with all you have been doing. You are educating us who are reading your blog on what life in Africa is really like. What a wonderful picture you are giving us of the people in Malawi. I am sure you are having a great affect on the people over there, but you are also having a profound affect on us through your blog also. Thank you for sharing so much with us. Love and safe travels. Bev

    ReplyDelete